Tuesday, October 23, 2007

Signs of the times

I seem to have found a place, with a conservatory (!) and a landlord who doesn't mind cats, hurrah, although obviously it could all go horribly wrong yet.

My mum very kindly offered to drive me to the letting agents' office, for which I had detailed phone instructions. Female Parental Unit, however, said she knew the way already.

Thirty minutes later, having driven down a long leafy road that turned into a leafy path, skeletal twiggy fingers scraping down the windscreen whilst ravens circled overhead, with their special eye-gouging beaks on:

MUM: (puzzled) Well this isn't where Google Maps said it was.

ME: ...


14 comments:

Sylvia said...

I presume you got there in the end!

IMO, nothing beats an A to Z, the more tatty and torn the better. As a last resort, you can use it as a weapon.

Anonymous said...

Are you sure you weren't with my mother?

Do you also have conversations like this?

http://youtube.com/watch?v=XmecyCCdknk

in which case he's got our mum as well...

James Henry said...

Heee, never seen those before, thanks Jayne.

Paul Pennyfeather said...

Have you thought of fitting sat nav to the parental unit?
or perhaps replacing her with an iPhone?

James Henry said...

Satnav not great in Cornwall, there's an issue with wreckers.

That's how they got Admiral Cloudsely Shovell, you know.

Anonymous said...

Nothing to do with anything but just watching Conchords. Am quite impressed with Jermaine's fuzzed out bits - despite the fuzzing...

I think I need to get out more.

Billy said...

I have to agree with Sylvia, although my A-Z now has the contents pages missing so you have to guess which page to turn to.

Plus you can't zoom in.

Tim F said...

Conservatories only come into existence when the builders end up with too much glass and not enough bricks.

Kai said...

Our sat nav, on the way back from Kings Lynn to Ipswich, tried to take us all the way up to Newcastle.

I don't trust the bastards anymore.

Anonymous said...

My mum has just acquired an email address. And a laptop. I just can't look at her in the same way any more. She'll have no truck with the sat nav though.

Anonymous said...

Just think of all the extra glass you'll have to keep clean!

James Henry said...

I might put the conservatory on Google Maps, see if Ma will come over and clean it for me...

(Hi Pash!)

Piers said...

Well, the Admiral was wearing a valuable ring in a rough part of the country....

James Henry said...

Not for long, he wasn't....


Glad someone got the reference, ten points to Piers.